Wednesday, September 17, 2008

'No me llames frijolero' (Don't call me beaner)

An update of random events...

Zack has been here for 3 weeks now. It's been a great visit and my community has been verywelcoming. I'm amazed at how much the people in my community truly seem to enjoy receivingvisitors--not just to Las Trancas but to their homes, their church, their soccer games, their dinnertables, their hammocks, etc. Just this week Zack has taken naps on hammocks at two seperatehouses. Serendipitously enough, sleeping in another person's hammock is in the top three best compliments one can give a Salvadoran-- ranking right up there with finishing your lunch and asking for seconds.

One day last week we went with a neighbor of mine to plant beans (hence the title--also a pretty great song by the band Molotov) and 'bend' corn stalks. The bending corn has something to do with how the plant absorbs water, althoug I'm still a bit unclear as to why it's necessary..other than the fact that it requires the use of a machete. Bean planting was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Basically, you walk up and down the middles of rows of corn. Every foot or so you jab your machete into the ground, drop in 4 beans, and cover them up with dirt. Walking up and down bent over the whole time for just an hour left me with a terrible back ache for two days. I can't imagine what it must be like to work all day every day in that manner. It begins to make sense that one of the guys we worked with carried a bottle of 'guaro' (moonshine) in his sack of beans. Pain medicine.

Bending corn gave Zack a rash, or at least that's where he claims he got his rash. 'I got a rash, man'

The 15th is independence day in El Salvador. We went and took pictures of the parade. Hot, but nice. I'll post pictures soon.

That's about all to report here. Zack and I are off to Costa Rica tomorrow to see Eddie. Very much looking forward to the trip. Life is good.

No comments: