Monday, July 9, 2007

El Futbolista

Tepetitan (the town where I live) recently constructed an astro-turf 'canchita' (mini soccer field--about the size of a basketball court) for a two and a half month long tournament. The tourney started about 3 weeks ago and will continue through August. This is probably the biggest thing that has happened in Tepetitan for years, and average attendance is around 150. The host dad of another volunteer put together a team and included me on the roster. The team is composed of local teachers, all of whom are a bit over the hill and not very good at soccer.

So, my Salvadoran soccer career began two weeks ago in my team's first game (and first loss). I did not write about it mainly because it was not fun. I played horribly and we lost. I then caught a chest cold and was not able to play in our 3 subsequent games/losses. However, last night I made a triumphant return to the pitch. We played a team from a neighboring pueblo, and the crowd was abuzz for our 8pm kickoff. I scored the game's first goal about 5 minutes after the opening whistle. We soon went up 2-0 after the other team put in an own goal. The other team scored quickly to make it 2-1, but I answered back with a goal of my own. But, true to our form, we lost our lead and were down 5-3 at halftime (3 of the goals were scored while I was sitting on the bench.

The second half, I decided to put on a clinic for all in attendance. I had 4 second half goals, two of which were completely solo efforts. I think the best part of the night was when I heard an old 'campesino' (rural farmer) say 'juega chele' which basically means 'play gringo' or 'whiteboy'. As much as I am bragging, I am not exaggerating--after last night I am a celebrity in my town. Walking around town today, on three different occasions, someone congratulated me or commented on my performance last night.

The only problem with all of this is we have another game tomorrow evening, and I will most likely be back to my slow, out of shape, mediocre form. Maybe I should hang up the boots and retire on top.

6 comments:

Mark said...

don't retire--just hold out for more money.

Unknown said...

Unbelievably hilarious! You right good, Kiddo!!! I am laughing out loud--and, I agree with your brother. Love, Mom

Unknown said...

I always said you should have been playing offense. grandpa hans would agree with me. No sweat next game 8 goals. By the way could I have your autograph. Love Dad

Lafan said...

haha good to hear you are showing these kids how to play :)

me, myself, I am playing as a goal keeper tomorrow since both our goalkeepers got injured... help me lord!

saludos loco

Mr. Swick said...

dude, can i have your jersey? please autograph it, too....i've been trying to train with jeff as he gets ready for the season. and let me tell you, i'm struggling. hard core. oh well, keep up with the stories if possible.

Going Global said...

We'll be following your amazing journey with great pride and interest..... Love, Brenda S.