Sunday, July 15, 2007

Que Chivo Estar Aqui (How cool it is to be here)

We had field based training from Wednesday-Saturday. Field Based Training or FBT, is just a visit to a current volunteer's site where he/she has activities planned for the group. The youth development volunteer's were split up into two groups of four. My group was led by Beatriz, who is currently shadowing Kiva to be the next trainer for youth development, and Ever, our Salvadoran motorista and all around badass. Our site was a pueblo called Victoria in the department of CabaƱas. This is pretty much the same area I visited for immersion days, and as I have described previously and as the pictures show, it is gorgeous. It is about 5,000 feet (I think) in elevation, and it overlooks the mountains of Honduras.

We arrived around 10:30 Wednesday morning and met Lisa (our host volunteer) at the station for Radio Victoria. This weekend was Radio Victoria's 14th birthday, and it has quite an interesting history. It was originally based out of Santa Marta, was closed down during the civil war, and has always been 'alternative radio' offering a non-centralized form of news and place for opinions to be expressed. The radio offers a very cool program providing workshops on reporting for youth, and then allowing them to present on air. The best part of the radio, though, is definitely the people. Their passion for what they are doing (and it's most definitely a struggle to keep the radio station functioning) showed through brilliantly when they were talking to us.

After meeting with the radio staff, we ate lunch, prepared for charla's that we were going to be giving the next two days, and met our host families. My host mom is the director of 'la casa de cultura' (cultural house) in Victoria. She lives with her mom and her two children--Salvador age 9 and Bryan age 6. The family is all quite nice, but exhausting to say the least. Salva and Bryan were the most hyperactive children I have ever met, and it most definitely does not help that they are constantly given sugary drinks and coffee. Actually, most Salvadoran children are given coffee. It is tough to see, knowing how bad it is for them, but it is cheap and filling, so if food is scarce, coffee helps.

On Thursday, we helped Lisa give a charla on adolescence to the 'Escuela de los padres' (basically like a PTO). The turnout was quite impressive as about 50 parents showed up--almost exclusively women. We were in charge of facilitating small group discussions, and I thought it all went very well. Afterwards, we went to the house of a Salvadoran friend of Lisa where we made pizza from scratch and cooked it in an adobe oven. I'm not sure if it is because I've gotten a little tired of the food here, but the pizza was quite possibly the best thing I've ever tasted. Of course that meant I ate way too much.

Later that night I went with my host family to a nephew's birthday party where I was offerred 'chaparro.' I immediately asked 'what's that' and they just told me to try it. Turns out it is basically moonshine made from fermented plantains, and it is illegal to make in El Salvador. This was most definitely the strongest liquor I have ever tasted, and I'm just thankful I did not go blind. Though I got a bit buzzed, I was safe, because my host mom was drunker than I.

Friday we went back to the school where I gave a charla on teamwork. Essentially, the kids had to build a bridge out of straws high enough so each member of the team could pass under. I think there's a picture of it on the previous entry. The charla went marvoulously, mostly thanks to the kids. We then drove to a site about 30 minutes away where another volunteer, Sarah, lives. There, we went on a hike with a bunch of 4th graders, and picked up plastic to recycle all along the way. After the trash pickup, we hiked to a pretty amazing waterfall where we spent the rest of the day.

Saturday, we woke up at 4:45 to hike up a hill to milk cows. I'm a pretty amazing milker to tell the truth. I have pictures to prove it. The best part, though, was the location. We were above the clouds, so looking down it seemed like it was an ocean and the peaks were all islands. After milking, we ate breakfast and went back to our host communities. It was definitely a great 4 days.

Tomorrow a bunch of us are going to the beach for the weekend. On one hand I wanted some time away from the group, but it's hard to pass up a trip to the beach. We'll see how it goes...if I need to, I'm sure I can find a nice private plot of sand where I can sleep and read. Peace all.

1 comment:

Betty said...

Michael or Mel or whatever you prefer. I have had a great time reading your blogs. You make them very interesting. The picture of the cow came out on it's side and my first reaction was - "What is he doing patting that dead cow?" but then I got it. Your description of the mass of clouds below you with the feel of almost being to walk out on them reminded me of my experience of working on Mt. Washington one summer when I was in college. I know, a hundred years ago. I had a similiar experience of getting up early in the morning, watching the sun come up through the clouds, painting the all shades of pink,red and orange. It is one of my treasurered memories. All is well here. We move to the new abode or is it casa on the 23rd. Luv GrandBill